Monday, September 3, 2012

Fiberworks for De-Stressing

When we were at the Pirate Festival in St. Helens, OR, I was super happy to find a kindred spirit in a rug-weaver!  We talked about rug-making-how healing it is and how we feel so connected to women of the past through an ancestral art.  She was gracious in allowing me to photograph her at her craft:



I love history-consider myself a student of history.  When I weave I swear that I can feel my fingers move in rythmic harmony with women who have gone before me.  My grandmother taught my chubby child fingers to crochet.  How I loved feeling her cool, gentle hands guiding mine with every stitch.  When I crochet today I feel connected to her and feel such a sense of appreciation for the time she spent with me-with great patience (!) teaching me such a beautiful traditional artform.  I am proud to say that I have a ginormous white crocheted bedspread that she completed-gifted to me from my sister from Grandma's estate. It is as beautiful for aesthetic appeal as it is for the memories it brings to life.  I'll need to take a photo of it to share for sure!

I work on a simple frame loom that my dear husband made for me.  I love that it is lightweight, portable and was made with his own hands.  I call it 'weaving with love' when I take to the loom.  A photo of a rug-work in progress, shows some of the frame along with the lavish color palate that is so fun to healing to work with:

the vibrant colors and freestyle pattern is so freeing! this is made on the frame loom my husband made for me!

a completed loom rug in earthtones: herringbone pattern
and this is an example of a crochet 'sampler' rug using precut jellyroll strips:


foot ready!  


close up shows the beauty of the colors-each so different yet the harmonize so well!

I find the making of things to be such a healing thing to do--with the stress of everyday life weaving and crocheting are positive ways of improving my health.  I'd love to hear from others how you cope with stress.  What activities bring you comfort?

J.











No comments:

Post a Comment