Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Listening to our Children

Today I came across an article that is rather timely.  Wish I had read it before a conversation that went a bit south with my teen daughter.  The point of the article is that as parents we, with good intentions, want to 'fix' our children's problems, make the hurt go away, impart our wisdom, etc., etc.  But sometimes we   j u s t  n e e d  t o  l i s t e n  with an open heart and mind.  Our children, especially our teens, are learning to navigate the waters.....we need to let them figure things out, let them know that they are capable, that we believe in them.

The article is worth sharing:

http://startempathy.org/blog/2012/09/how-listen-your-child-even-when-listening-hard

now, to eat my humble pie as I did not just listen to my girl.

hrrmph.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment